This impressive corner pub faces its famous namesake, Holborn Viaduct. Queen Victoria opened it in 1869, the Viaduct not the pub, although they were both opened in the same year. Holborn Viaduct was the world's first flyover, connecting Holborn with Newgate Street, avoiding a deep dip in the road caused by the River Fleet.
Read More >>
Although this striking Victorian pub has a large curved frontage, the interior is surprisingly small. Many of the original features have survived. On one wall, three paintings of wistful maidens represent agriculture, banking and the arts. The 'arts' was attacked (some say shot, others bayoneted) by a drunken First World War soldier, and she still bears the scar.
There are some wonderful gilded and silvered mirrors and fine examples of decorated glass. At the back of the bar is a manager's stall, a sort of office booth, made from beautifully carved hardwood and intricately engraved glass panels. The ornate ceiling is made from beaten copper and is supported by cast iron pillars.
The Viaduct Tavern and the Old Bailey opposite, were built on the site of Newgate Prison, notorious for its appalling conditions and public hangings, which continued until 1868. The cellars of the Viaduct are former cells of the prison and tours of them can be arranged by appointment.
Website : www.fullers.co.uk