The Salisbury is one of London’s jewels. Originally built in 1892 as a restaurant called the Salisbury Stores, evident by the double ‘S’ etched into the windows, it was transformed six years later into the glittering pub we see today. The 1890’s was the boom decade for Victorian pubs and this refurbishment was an expensive and lavish affair.
Huge decorative mirrors, cut and etched glass and gleaming mahogany, created a dazzling and extravagant interior. Perhaps the most extraordinary items are the art nouveau light fittings; beautiful bronze nymph figures support long stemmed flowers, with light bulbs at their centre. These electric lights showed Victorian customers that this was an upmarket and modern pub.
The comparatively less exuberant exterior is decorated with fluted columns and mythical figures. Above the entrance a small canopy is supported by two angels, between them, the Cecil coat of arms. The gentleman on the pub sign is the Marquess of Salisbury, Robert Gasgoyne-Cecil, three times Prime Minister from 1885 to 1902. His family once owned the pub’s freehold.
The Salisbury offers not only a slice of sumptuous Victorian history, but an international menu with some classic British favourites and up to 6 well kept real ales. The pub is one of just two pubs in the country to receive the Beautiful Beer Platinum Award, so you can expect an exceptional pint. Staff will also help suggest ales to compliment food.
During the day it’s a relaxing place for a pint and a pub lunch, in early evening it’s filled with office workers and later theatre goers, being well placed for both Theatreland and Covent Garden. The back bar can be reserved for private parties up to 20 persons. Well behaved children allowed on weekdays 12pm to 5pm. Board games available; dominoes, chess. Wheelchair access to bar only.