There may be a lamb on the sign, but the pub and the street were named after philanthropist William Lamb. In 1577, he improved the conduit that brought fresh water to the people of the area. The pub was built in the 1720′s but was “improved” in Victorian times and much of the original structure was lost. What remains is a fine Victorian pub.
The exterior is fairly typical with the exception of striking green tiled walls. Inside, above the U-shaped counter, are rare snob screens. These small pivoting panels of etched glass were positioned at head height to conceal a drinker\’s identity. The pub would have originally been divided into several small bar areas, each with its own access to the counter.
Dark wood, leather sofas, smoke-brown walls, sepia photographs and Victorian artefacts provide a bygone atmosphere. A Polyphon, a kind of Victorian juke box , occupies one corner, and by all accounts it still works. At the rear of the pub is a small covered patio.